My complicated relationship with The Grand Tour

• Admin

Guardian

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of Top Gear in years past. However, the last few years of the program really fell off. Although I understand the skits were always planned out, they were still kept real enough to be believable. Then, in the last few years of Top Gear with Clarkson, May and Hammond, they began to take things too over the top.

I had hoped when the trio left Top Gear and signed on with Amazon for The Grand Tour that they would return to Top Gear's heyday and bring back the magic that had been missing in the later years. And while I somewhat enjoy the show in the most basic of ways, they seem to have continued on their trajectory of over the top shenanigans that just aren't as charming or as humorous as the hosts seem to think they are.

For season 4, which I believe will begin airing early 2020, they have announced there will be a format change for the show. They will no longer have a live audience with the tent segments of the show. And sure, that's great news, as my favorite episodes were always those that revolved around crazy road trips, even those episodes of The Grand Tour have lost their luster for me. I think it is mainly due to what I previously mentioned, the fact that they just take things too far over the top to the point where it feels like all the laughs and such are put on and not genuine in the slightest. This was something that was hidden well in past years of the Top Gear program.

Who else is struggling with The Grand Tour? Anyone loving it? Anyone hating it? And why?

Thurman

Reaction score
You might be on your own here. Never seen Top Gear or Grand Tour. Not much of a car person myself.

• Admin

Guardian

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will hold out hope for the new season. I will hold out hope that they don't go so far over the top with their antics and road trips that it becomes absurd and totally leaps out of the realm of possibility. I hold out hope, but I just know that it'll only get worse instead of better. We shall see, I suppose.